Our School Council
At Etherley Lane we value the opinions and talents of all our children. We have an active School Council, voted for by the children and they are involved in many aspects of school life.
From Year 2 to Year 6, two children are elected by their class to represent them. At regular meetings they discuss issues that concern the children. They are supported by Mrs Burkill. In the past they have:
- Worked alongside the Governing Body to create an end of year award called Citizen of the Year Award.
- Worked with the Friends of the School to raise money to improve and work towards new playground equipment.
- Worked with their peers, staff and school leaders to come up with a school motto.
- Worked closely with the Healthy Schools Snag Group and Taylor Shaw to improve the variety and quality of school meals.
- Worked as Eco Warriors on all areas of sustainability using a range of resources including those from Eco Schools and The Pod. They have taken a lead in assembly and can be seen on a regular basis carrying out green and red balloon checks in classes to make sure everyone is saving energy wherever possible.
- Organised activities to raise funds for local and international charities.
- Supported their peers who requested pets in school, the School Council now proudly take ownership of the aquarium.
- Worked with other pupil voice groups in school and the Junior Road Safety Officers.
- Represented pupil voice at Investing in Children meetings, an organisation concerned with the human rights of children and young people.
Healthy School Group
From Year 1 to Year 6 children are elected by their class to represent them in this group. This group is supported by Miss Navin, they promote healthy living and eating and work closely with Taylor Shaw to improve school meals. They also work to improve PE and sport in school.
Fairtrade Steering Group
From Year 2 to Year 6 children are elected by their class to represent them in this group. This group is supported by Miss Strophair and in 2016 due to their hard work we became a Fairaware school.
From Year 1 to Year 6 children are elected by their class to represent them in this group. This group is supported by Mrs Jones, they discuss our curriculum and how to become lifelong learners.
Rights Respecting Group
From Year 1 to Year 6 children are elected by their class to represent them in this group. This group is supported by Miss Strophair, this group is currently working towards RRSA Level 1.
Year 5 and Year 6 pupils can become Junior Road Safety Officers and work closely with the local Authority on sustainability and road safety.
Pupils in Year 5 trained with members of Durham Constabulary to become Mini Police. They looked at anti-social behaviour and in particular litter in the local environment.
Pupils from Year 2 to 6 can become Anti- Bullying Ambassadors and are trained by The Centre to promote friendship, respect and tolerance.
We have two pupils in Year 6 who are our RE Ambassadors, these pupils have represented our school, they have visited places of worship, collected and made resources that we can share with others.
We have four pupils in our school who were trained at Escomb Primary School to become Science Ambassadors. They will be taking on the role of promoting the Science Curriculum in our school in an exciting and stimulating way.
Our OPAL Champions promote creative outdoor play and work alongside Mrs Burkill and other members of the OPAL Steering Group.
In 2017 we introduced OPAL to our outside areas at lunchtimes. Please see photographs below to show the wonderful impact.